Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Coming Home


Although not mandated to leave, Lay Mission-Helpers (LMH) recommended that we missionaries return temporarily to the United States until the Covid-19 pandemic is under control. It was fairly easy for me to make the decision to return. I feel I am healthy, but I am over 60 years young and at a higher risk than others.

Am I happy to be here? Not really. I unexpectedly had to leave my home. I left a life in which I was comfortable.  As strange as it may seem to most of you, I will miss hand washing my clothes, bucket bathing, and eating my favorite Ghanaian meal with my hand. I will miss the look on vendors’ faces when I speak to them in Gonja, the language of the largest tribe in my home town of Damongo. I will miss the security guard at the Secretariat where I work struggling to teach me the language (I blame being 61 as the reason for my slow learning). 

Though my son’s will always take care of me, you could say I am technically homeless. I sold my home and gave away nearly everything I owned before leaving for mission. Right now I am living with my oldest son in Greensburg, PA. Once out of quarantine I will visit my youngest son in Pittsburgh, PA and at some point fly to Colorado to spend time with my son in Boulder. I have friends that say I am not homeless, for as long as they have a home I have a home.


One might ask: “Does not having a permanent home scare you?” The answer is a definite NO! If I do not make it back to Ghana, I will find a mission house in the U.S. in which to live while I continue to serve God’s people.

God has called me to mission and that is what I am meant to do. Every day I end my prayers by saying:
   
JESUS, I TRUST IN YOU!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Closing Chapter: Love Has No Boundaries

When I began my journey to be a missionary I said it was the beginning of a new chapter in my life. Now it is time to end that chapter and b...