Monday, November 29, 2021

Mission Presence

On November 14, 2021, I boarded a plane for my trip back to the USA. It has been over 3 years since the start of my missionary journey. In August, 2018, I began my four-month formation program in Los Angeles, CA. Shortly after completion I flew off to Ghana to begin what has been an amazing journey.

Prior to leaving Ghana I watched as 30 exceptional girls from the class of 2021 graduated from St. Anne’s Girls’ Senior High School. I had the privilege of organizing their graduation ceremony. These girls were first year students when I arrived in January, 2019. It was a blessing to be able to watch as they went from giggly girls to serious young women. Many of the girls have shared with me their desire to be teachers, nurses, and lawyers. Two girls from the Home Economics class told me they plan on opening their own pastry shop. Accomplishing these goals will not be easy given the economic situation most are facing but I believe with God’s grace anything is possible.

Here is a portion of the message I gave them before saying my good-byes:

"Always remember your GOD! Remember the Holy Spirit. He is with you, wanting to guide you. Pray to him.  Ask him for his assistance, especially in times of uncertainty.

Remember God’s son, Jesus, and how he lived his live here on earth. Whenever you are challenged to make a decision, especially one involving morality; right versus wrong, good versus bad, ask yourself “What would Jesus do?”

Also remember Mary, our Blessed Mother. No one has a more special connection to Christ, her son, than she does. Pray the rosary daily; not just in May and October. Carry it with you as much as possible. The rosary is powerful. It is a weapon in our battle with the evil one. When you feel tempted put the rosary in your hand, and ask that Mary will guide you."

I pray to God that I have made a difference in at least one of these girls’ lives. I have decided to extend my mission work for one more year. On January 19,2022, I will once again board a plane. This will be the beginning of my fourth year as a missionary in Damongo, Ghana. I pray that my presence will have a positive influence on at least one more person with whom I will be living amongst.

This post is dedicated to Diane Yonga. She and I arrived in Ghana together in 2019 to begin our 3-year commitment as missionaries. I know I would not have been able to survive without her support. She and I learned together how to live in an environment foreign to us both. Diane’s journey was cut short because of a cancer diagnosis. Her condition is now very serious. Please pray for her. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Closing Chapter: Love Has No Boundaries

When I began my journey to be a missionary I said it was the beginning of a new chapter in my life. Now it is time to end that chapter and b...