Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Novice Night

Every year here at St. Anne’s Girls’ Senior High School (SAGISS), where I live, Novice Night occurs. The Freshmen, or Form 1’s as they are called, are "hazed" by having to take part in a silly tradition. Those being "hazed" dress up in togas, wear hats made from leaves, paint their faces then parade around campus singing.



Does not sound like "hazing", right? Did I leave out that on their face is painted the word FOOL! And as they parade around they sing “We are fools!”



It really is silly but that’s where the silliness ends. For the rest of the night the Form 1’s take part in modeling, dancing and singing competitions. They are also required to give a speech on a topic of their choice and answer questions presented by the judges. At the end of the evening one of the new girls, a Form 1, one of the “Fools” is crowned the school’s Queen. Not such a foolish event after all! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Closing Chapter: Love Has No Boundaries

When I began my journey to be a missionary I said it was the beginning of a new chapter in my life. Now it is time to end that chapter and b...