Monday, December 3, 2018

Called to Mission


Hello, and welcome to my blog. I am Karen (Sprock) Hunka from Latrobe, Pennsylvania. For years I desired to be a missionary but working, raising children and caring for elderly parents kept me quite busy.  I put my profession as an accountant/auditor on hold four years ago to take my mother out of a nursing facility and care for her where she wanted and deserved to be–at home.  I was blessed to be my mother’s caregiver for three years.

November 2017, when my mother went to meet her maker, I had a decision to make. I knew with my work experience I was marketable. Going back into the workforce would not be difficult. I could continue to make a decent salary and add to my retirement fund. However, this no longer seemed important to me. I felt there was something else I should be doing. 

The Holy Spirit was calling me to go down a different path. At the age of 60 I was being called to mission. With resources provided me by my parish priest, Father Sedlak, of St. Florian Catholic Church, United, PA and use of the internet, I found an organization that seemed to be perfect.  I filled out the Lay Mission-Helpers Association (LMH) application, obtained the required recommendations, and flew to Los Angeles, CA for a weekend of discernment and interviews.  Ultimately, I was accepted into the program.

LMH knows that going on mission in a distant country in not easy.  I just completed a formation program in Los Angeles, CA., where for 4 months I was taught by some of the most amazing priests, sisters, brothers, and professors imaginable. Living in community with three others also discerning for mission, I worked on developing the skills and knowledge I need to serve successfully overseas. Soon I will travel to Ghana, Africa, where I will serve for the next three years as an accountant in the Diocese of Damongo.

The motto of LMH is: For We Are God’s Helpers. Please pray for me as I journey off to help God’s people in Ghana and begin the next chapter of my life.

God bless you and please check back!

9 comments:

  1. Wonderful first post! So happy and excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kate. I can’t wait to get to Africa.

      Delete
  2. Wow, cousin! We are so excited to see what God has for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Anne. I am blessed that God has called me to mission. The next three years will certainly be fruitful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog and will follow you on your journey, God bless you for your mission work. I am a member of St florians and took gifts to your parents when i helped the care givers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much William for delivering the gifts to my parents. I am proud to be a member of St. Florian’s Church because of people like you who take time to remember the shut-ins. I am in Pennsylvania until I depart January 23 for Ghana. I will be at Mass daily until then. It would be nice to meet you. Also, I am honored that you plan to follow my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Karen. I'm so happy to follow your mission in Africa. Praying for you
    Rachel Burke

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy you are living your dream!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Invest with 200$ and get a returns of 5,000$ within seven business working days.
    Why wasting your precious time online looking for a loan? When there is an opportunity for you to invest with 200$ and get a returns of 5,000$ within seven business working days. Contact us now for more information if interested on how you can earn big with just little amount. This is all about investing into Crude Oil and Gas Business.

    Email: investmoneyoilgas@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Closing Chapter: Love Has No Boundaries

When I began my journey to be a missionary I said it was the beginning of a new chapter in my life. Now it is time to end that chapter and b...